Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Dehydrator is Here!...Cheezy Kale Chips, Here I Come!!

Hello out there in blogger land!! And welcome...to another one of my spendiferous blogs! Today I am excited to share that the dehydrator has arrived and I am ready to get, well...dehydrating! Wahoo! 




Tonight I am going to begin by trying out a batch of cheezy kale chips! I have only had these once before, bought pre-packaged, and they were delicious. They tend to be quite pricey, so I was excited to try my hand at making some! I have just finished preparing them and they are dehydrating as we speak! I am super excited to see how they turn out! It should be noted, though, that these chips are dangerously addictive and should be eaten happily and with VIGOR! haha

 Here is the approximate recipe I used for the sauce:

3 T Nutritional Yeast
2 C Organic Raw Cashews (soaked 20 min)
    Juice of 1 Lemon
   1 med Red Bell Pepper
   1/2 Jalapeno (more if you're brave)
   1 tsp Sea Salt
   1 - 2 Cloves Garlic
   Cilantro to taste (adding in last)

Process all of the above in a food processor or Vitamix/Blendtec blender. Rinse & de-stem the kale, washing it very thoroughly (watch out for tiny bugs, etc!) Put the kale in a large bowl and add the cheezy sauce. Massage this into the leaves for about 5 min, until it is thoroughly and evenly covering the kale. Give it your love! :) And then, lay out on a teflex sheet evenly and place into the dehydrator! I will be leaving mine in there for about 12 hours (at 105 F), and then checking them. I'll let you guys know how they turn out!

I also threw in some fresh bananas, for banana chips, so we'll see what happens with those as well! I have a freezer full of almond pulp that I am dying to use in some kind of raw desert as well, so keep your eyes peeled for that one! My camera, unfortunately, ran out of batteries just after I mixed up the sauce, so I can't show you a pretty picture of the amazing cheezy sauce just yet, but oh...it is divine!! I still have some leftover which I may use to make more kale chips, or I may just eat! I understand that you are to taste the sauce after processing and it should already taste good to your tounge before ever entering the dehydrator. It ABSOLUTELY did. I could probably have just eaten the entire bowl of it! This would make a great "cheese"dip, or cheeze dip, for parties or family gatherings. With the holidays coming up and family gatherings throwing loads of dairy-heavy and processed carb-heavy foods at us, it can be difficult to stay eating healthy, nourishing foods. I have been trying to come up with some ideas for my own family events, as I will be traveling out of state and into a city with far less health food and organic options. I want to make some dishes for my family to try, but I need to be prepared enough to not need my lovely kitchen equipment when I go. I will probably be posting some recipes for things that I decide to make as that time comes a little closer.

Anyway, I hope that you all enjoy the recipe as much as I do, if you try it. I will get back with you on how mine turn out. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment