Saturday, March 19, 2011

Road Blocks

I have to say that it is certainly true that inspiration ebbs and flows. For the past couple of weeks I had been feeling just not nearly as motivated as I usually am to pursue! pursue! pursue!! (my passions that is) But finally again I am feeling the itch to get moving and get growing! :)

By the way, I hope you all had a safe and fun St. Patrick's Day earlier this week. I started my day off with this magnificent beauty of a green smoothie:


and a beautiful morning yoga routine to get my blood flowing and my head straight for what I expected to be a very busy day (I am currently a bartender). *On a side note, yes I do see the irony of studying healing and nutrition while serving beers and drinks containing chemical colorings and fermented sugars, but it's what I can do for now so, if you are ever looking to have a convo about health and wellness while having a brew, I am your gal. haha Anyway, I spent the morning looking up fancy green drinks I could make, expecting a day full of, "can you make me an Irish drink??" and Irish car bombs, but alas  I was very very slow all day. I did get to have some fantastic corned beef, cabbage, & potatoes (minus the corned beef and plus one small salad) for an "Irish dinner" though, which was great. I used to LOVE corned beef but I found just the cabbage with potatoes and a salad to be super satisfying while filling my silly traditional need to consume something of this nature on this holiday. Afterwards Corey and I went home for some video-games and chill time.  :) It was lovely.

So, back on track...I am starting to get the itch again to get busy cracking on my goals! In the meantime (of being less than motivated), however, I have been getting a lot of school work done, which is going splendidly. I started reading a book, that I will possibly, eventually do a book report on called, "The Second Brain," by Michael D. Gershon, M.D. that was suggested to me by a colon hydrotherapist friend of mine. So far, I am really enjoying it. It is about how the digestive system has it's own separate functions independent of the autonomic nervous system and how that can effect health and basic immune function. Good stuff. So, more on that later. For now, I will be spending tonight (and every other night) studying, crocheting (trying to keep active with this as much as possible), cooking/non-cooking, and meditating/dreaming about the goals I am working towards. 

Super Easy/Yummy (& properly combined) Green Smoothie Recipe of the Day:
2-3 C Spinach
1-2 C Organic Apple Juice (fresh if you have a juicer)
1/2 Container of fresh organic blueberries (or frozen)
2.5 Organic Bananas
2 Heaping Tablespoons Maca
2 Heaping Tablespoons Vitamineral Green
Filtered Water (if needed)

Blend all together & top with fresh blueberries. Makes enough for 2-3 people but you can alter ingredients as you need to.  Enjoy! :) 




6 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! But I have a question about the Maca. We used it at Nite Moon Cafe in cookies and breads and some of my co-workers would add it to their drinks. I never did cause it would cost extra. When Ern was visiting we put some maca in our smoothies and I notcied that it had a different consistency. Kind of a gloopy jello-ish thickness. I remembered that the maca cookies and breads where extra puffy too. Is it because of the Maca? I mean the smoothie is, but are all maca powders the same? Is there something that the maca powder does when mixed with liquid that puffs it up? Or perhaps he had some kind of maca blend??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum! "The Second Brain" sounds super interesting. I'll have to check that out. Glad you had a good St. Patty's Day are feeling inspired again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I am so glad you commented on my blog so I could find you! There I was writing this huge response to you, then I thought I should just come over here! This smoothie looks fantastic... I can't wait to go through the rest of your blog :) And I am very glad to have a friend who is going through GCNM too! I would love to chat about lessons, etc! You're ahead of me; I'm still deep in the trenches of the first module, but let's definitely connect! Talk to you soon!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Xiana, I'm not sure about the "puffing" effect of maca, but it's surely worth a google. I use it because it is known to promote hormonal balance within the body and is a known "superfood" contributing to overall health. Also, I like the taste of it in my smoothies! :) Let me know more of this "puffing effect" though, if you find more...the gloopy-jello-ish thickness could have been from flax if you used that as well. It gets all sticky-ish in water, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the smoothie recipe. That book looks good.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the look of your blog. Feel great just looking over at the water. And your posts are great. Found you on raw rehab. I am now going to follow.

    ReplyDelete