Saturday, January 7, 2012

Hello 2012! Looking back on the pies that were...(and weren't)!

Greetings and Happy New Year!

Christmas was awesome, a great trip back home. Good friends and family and even a soul-quenching evening (for me) playing music with my Missouri band, Alice♥ Much needed. 


This new year started very calmly for me and it's exactly what I needed to set the tone for the year.

For the first time in about ten years, or more, I felt like celebrating the coming of the new year in a very laid back, reflective, non-party-ish kind of way. In the past I would have been planning to attend a big party or concert with fireworks, tons of people, party hats and other festivities, but this year the idea of coming home, putting on my pajama pants and relaxing with friends and loved ones in my home sounded best. We did get some decent invites to leave the house and hang, fairly low key, with other friends but simply the idea of leaving my house sounded like too much effort and just not right. We even casually invited a few people to stop by if they wanted to but it was a smooth and welcome let down when no one did. We had a friend from California visiting us, his last night in town, so we just ended up hanging, listening to music, watching funny shows, I spun some poi in the moonlight, and we had some laughs. It was an absolutely perfect way to ring in the new year...

thank you to my camera's timer & AJ's tripod! 

ok everyone, put on your gangsta face...


So, as I was uploading the pics from the end of the year, I found some pics I took way back at Thanksgiving that I'd like to share. I have yet to find a truly great raw pie or brownie recipe that I can truly master, but to honor the good'ol American tradition of feasting the day away, I tried again this year anyway...

I got this recipe from the amazing, "I Am Grateful," cookbook put out by Cafe Gratitude.


And, to clarify, it's not that this pie's layers didn't taste ah-maz-ing, because they did...it's that I somehow screwed up the final execution. I even got the swirls to turn out, but I think maybe I should have made this a day in advance. I made it the morning of Thanksgiving and by the time it was done we had to head where we were going, so there was little time for it to set. On that note, I wasn't sure how to get it to set! Was it supposed to be a pudding consistency pie that you just scoop out? I wanted a pie consistency, so I stuck it in the freezer to solidify the layers a bit. Anyway, it ended up getting frozen-ish and then tasting more like an ice-cream, albeit a tasty ice-cream, pie when all was said and done. 

Here was my experience: 

Recipe, check.

Got the crust, alright!

Kinda messed up the swirling a bit, but overall not too shabby...

Aaaand, the finished, frozen, product! I am...Heavenly? (hehe, yes!) We drove to where we were going and the layers sort of swirled together in the move, even more in the car ride over...pretty much just brown by the time we got there. Lol 

But sitting next to a vegan apple crumble after a full hearty meal, not a bad dessert at'all! Although I was the only one really trying to consume the leftovers as days went on and this pie kinda flopped in the fridge upon "setting" further. Not sure what to do about that. Ah well...onward!

Oh yeah, and while thinking of this I remembered that I actually did make a raw pie I was proud of this year! But again, really more like a raw pudding than a pie...it was my self-made and completely self-eaten birthday "cake" this year! It may look like a mountain of mush, but it was the tastiest mountain of chocolate mush evah!




I made up the recipe from combining a bunch of things I liked from other recipes. If I can find it, I'll try and post the final recipe I came up with on here sometime. 

So that's all I have for you folks, just some raw pies from the year 2011 and some enthusiasm looking ahead into 2012! I will make a better raw pie this year, among other resolutions.

Other resolutions for 2012: 

♥ Take a dance class
♥ Go to more open mics
♥ Obtain a fabulous green juicer
♥ Start growing sprouts
♥ Try to re-start and maintain composting
So that's it! I hope you all had a safe and fabulous new years and I'm excited to see what this year will bring for me, and for all of you! Much love & many blessings. 

My cat hopes you had a very enthusiastic new years...

Ps- What were your new years resolutions this year? (a cliche question, but I really am interested) :) Post below! 

1 comment:

  1. Well thank you pbj, I did indeed have a good New Years. Ha! I love your resolutions! This year mine is simple. I'd like to be more patient, both with myself and others. Whatever I can do to foster that (meditation, exercise, etc...) is all just to reinforce that idea.

    ReplyDelete