Sunday, January 27, 2013

New Year, New Me!

It's been a while since my last post. The holidays have come and gone and I am settling in nicely to the joys of the new year! My holiday trip back home to Missouri was super refreshing. I got to play music with friends that are so dear to my heart and see family, which always makes me feel grounded.

While we were home, we took some time to visit the amazing Chinese Art exhibit at the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, which was so incredible. Corey has been taking classes and studying Buddhism and Chinese art in school, as well as personally reading tons of books on the subject, and it was so enlightening (no pun intended, lol) to walk around with him in the museum getting deep explanations of many of the exhibits and stories about the history of the culture. 

Corey & Nik (his lil' bro) talking Buddhism at NAMA
Giant statue of the Buddha


Still talking...so much to see!
Size comparison of the giant statue!

















A very fun day with Corey's parents & brother, so glad we went!
I had so much fun seeing my friends and family again and enjoying the holiday, I felt totally revitalized and re-grounded heading back home.

When I was in Missouri, I realized something...For a long time I had been growing my hair out long with the hopes of eventually dreading it. I had even put 4 dreadlocks into the underside of my hair already as kind of a "test run" to see how my hair took to it, and how I took to the whole process of dealing with them. After the trip I realized that I just wanted something fresh and new. I realized that I really don't have the patience to work on having beautiful dreads and that I didn't want a hairstyle that will take months and months (even years!) to look the way I want it to. Normally I don't fuss much with my hair. Having been blessed with what my mom calls the "good hair gene" my hair can be curly/wavy or straight and not take much styling to just dry and go. So, that's when I got a better idea...so 2 days after being back home, I called the salon to set up an appointment to chop it all off and donate it to Locks of Love (something I had always wanted to do but had always had bleached or color-treated hair in the past)! The day I went in, the stylist said that she would NOT cut my "virgin" hair if I hadn't really thought about it. So, I took a week and gave it some thought and the next week found myself in the same salon, different stylist, ready to make the chop!

The before...
One final pic before heading to the salon...



And...BAM! 12 inches of hair for someone who needs it!

And a very happy "new" me :)

With a wonderful new feeling of lightness and sense of self, I'm officially ready to face the new year ahead! With that in mind, here is the song I dubbed as my Anthem for a New Year:

Feel free to solo-dance-party to this tune to get more aligned with the way it feels...I know I did!

I think as this is already a fairly personal post, I will just continue in that fashion with a little more looking back at the museum trip...





and seeing good friends!

 
and playing with my friends from Alice!


and then coming home...

to ridiculous and adorable kitties :)

 Hope you all had a fun holiday as well, and I look forward to posting more often as I move into this new year (I promise, I will try!) Things here are good and I'm already getting excited for the upcoming spring.'Til next time!

1 comment:

  1. I actually squealed when I saw your absolutely, ridiculously adorable haircut! Look at you, cutest lady in the world! I'm so happy that you went through went it because you look so light and refreshed. You are amazing, beautiful sister and I'm so happy that you feel it!

    ReplyDelete