Sunday, October 13, 2013

Oil Pulling & Healthy Salad Recipe

 JUST FOUND THIS POST IN MY DRAFTS --- it's actually from Monday April 15, 2013. But I still think it's a good post, not sure why I never published it before, so here it is!

So I have been doing a lot of reading about Oil Pulling lately. This is an ancient Ayurvedic method of detoxification which is done by swishing oil (coconut and sesame seem to be most popular) around in the mouth, first thing in the morning, for about 15-20 minutes. You apparently can do this at any time during the day, but first thing in the morning is most recommended, on an empty stomach is always recommended, and before brushing.

So this morning I gave it a try! I used 1 teaspoon organic sesame oil and swished for 20 minutes before brushing. After doing some further reading, I am going to try it with coconut oil tomorrow to get the added antimicrobial benefits of coconut oil, and will also bump it up to 1 Tablespoon.

Overall it was a pleasant experience though. I thought it would feel gross, but it was fine. The oil turns a very watery  consistency after about 5-10 minutes and then it's just like sloshing water. You do NOT want to swallow the oil, however, because it contains all of the toxins you are "pulling" out of your mouth.

This practice is supposed to be beneficial to dental health and possibly for overall health as well. According to Dr. Mercola, "The potential benefits of oil pulling extend well beyond your mouth. Oil pullers have reported rapid relief from systemic health problems, such as arthritis, diabetes and heart disease." To hear more about what Dr. Mercola has to say about oil pulling with coconut oil, Click Here.

I am glad I finally did this though, after meaning to for a really long time, but I will try and post back how it's going. I plan to keep doing it daily if possible.

Btw, here is the delicious lunch I had today!


Fresh salad made up of the following:

Spinach & Other dark leafy greens
Parsley
Avocado
Roma Tomato
1 Clove Garlic, minced
Broccoli Sprouts
Sprinkle of Parma Garlicky
Sprinkle of Black Pepper
Raw Sauerkraut

Yum, yum!! I also got a cup of organic, vegan Potato Leek soup from the incredible health-food store where my partner works, which I added a pinch of Vitamineral Green powder to! This made a yummy, savory way of getting in my super-greens! Looked kind of strange, but was super tasty!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of oil pulling, but don't know a whole lot about it. Thanks for sharing about it. I'll have to check into it further.

    ReplyDelete